Do I need to apply for an environmental permit
You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated installation in England or Wales.
What permits are needed for
Part A (1) and A (2) permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:
- emissions to air, land and water
- energy efficiency
- waste reduction
- raw materials consumption
- noise, vibration and heat
- accident prevention
Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.
Part A (1) permits
The A1 activities for which the Environment Agency is responsible for regulating are detailed in Schedule 1 of the Environmental Protection (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 (as amended) for issuing permits for the following activities:
- waste operations carried out at Part B installations
- waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants
- mining waste operations
Part A (2) and B permits
Part A (2) and Part B installations are regulated by us, and are installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities. Part A (2) and B listed activities include:
- energy - combustion, gasification, and liquification activities
- metals - foundries, processing and treatment of metals
- minerals - the storage of bulk cement, crushing and screening of mineral and ceramics or glass
- chemicals - the storage of chemicals in bulk
- waste - the incineration of waste
- solvents - use of solvents
- other - the manufacture and treatment of timber products, coating, tar and bitumen, printing, the processing of rubber, the rendering of animal carcases and animal waste, the processing of animal and vegetable waste
Further detailed descriptions of the listed activities can be found in Schedule 1 of the The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016.
The application must be made by the operator of the regulated installation. For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission has first been granted.
In partnership with