Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Do I need to apply for an environmental permit

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated installation in England or Wales.

What permits are needed for

Part A (1) and A (2) permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

Part A (1) permits

The A1 activities for which the Environment Agency is responsible for regulating are detailed in Schedule 1 of the Environmental Protection (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 (as amended) for issuing permits for the following activities:

  • waste operations carried out at Part B installations
  • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants
  • mining waste operations

Part A (2) and B permits

Part A (2) and Part B installations are regulated by us, and are installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities. Part A (2) and B listed activities include:

  • energy - combustion, gasification, and liquification activities
  • metals - foundries, processing and treatment of metals
  • minerals - the storage of bulk cement, crushing and screening of mineral and ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - the storage of chemicals in bulk
  • waste - the incineration of waste
  • solvents - use of solvents
  • other - the manufacture and treatment of timber products, coating, tar and bitumen, printing, the processing of rubber, the rendering of animal carcases and animal waste, the processing of animal and vegetable waste

Further detailed descriptions of the listed activities can be found in Schedule 1 of the The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016.

    The application must be made by the operator of the regulated installation. For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission has first been granted.

    EUGO logo

    In partnership with

    • EUGO
    Contact us
    Pollution Control
    03000 261 016
    Our address is:
    • Community Protection
    • Annand House
    • John Street North
    • Meadowfield
    • County Durham
    • United Kingdom
    • DH7 8RS
    Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page