How much does a certificate cost?
Information about the charges for certificates of birth, death, marriage and civil partnerships.
The cost of the certificate depends on whether it is still held in the local registrar's office, or, for older certificates, in our central store at Bishop Auckland.
The following costs are for copies of certificates issued from the local registrar's office:
- £4: this covers a certificate that is issued at the time of the registration.
- £7: this covers a certificate that is issued after the time of registration, but where the register is still in the local office.
The following costs are for copies of certificates held in the central repository at Bishop Auckland:
- £10: standard service - collection in person after a minimum of 5 working days
- £12: standard service - despatched within 5 working days using 2nd class post
- £20: priority service - certificate available for collection on the same day from Bishop Auckland Registrar's Office or posted the same day via 1st class post
- £25: guaranteed next day postal service - requests received before 2.00pm
- £12: outside of the UK, we aim to deliver within 28 days
How do I order a copy of a certificate?
Birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates are available from us in a number of ways.
Can I buy a copy of a certificate anywhere else?
You can also buy a certificate for any birth, death or marriage in England and Wales from the central General Registrar's Office. You will need to contact them directly to place an order:
- £9.25: standard service - generally a 3 week delivery time
- £23.40: priority service - generally first class post on or before the next working day provided the application was received before 4.00pm
- Registration Service
- 03000 266 000