Sign up for garden waste collections
Information about how to sign up for our garden waste scheme.
Garden waste collections run from March/April to November in 2021. The last date for subscribing to the 2021 scheme is 1 September 2021.
- If you were subscribed to the scheme in 2020, you will be charged £30.90 per bin subscription for 2021, due to Covid-19 causing a late start in 2020.
- If you were not subscribed to the scheme in 2020 and wish to join in 2021 you will need to pay the full amount of £35 per bin subscription.
Note that we are only be offering a one year subscription - there is no three year option.
If you want extra bins, you will need to pay for them and the collection of them.
If you have not used our scheme before, you will need to check if your home is eligible. Garden waste collections are available to more than 190,000 homes in County Durham - the map shows the area covered by the service. In the Teesdale area, garden waste is collected by Teesdale Conservation Volunteers (Rotters).
Within the collection area, there are criteria that properties must meet to use the service. A property:
- must be easily accessible by a 26 tonne refuse collection vehicle - this includes being able to empty bins and turn the vehicle around easily and safely
- has a garden that lies within the identified scheme area
- has a garden waste bin that is stored within the boundaries of the property
- is on either an adopted or planned adopted road
You can check your eligibility at the same time as subscribing or use My Durham. If you are not eligible for the scheme, but think you should be, you can .
There are no reductions, concessions or partial payment options available. Other ways to pay are available on your letter. If you don't have a letter and think you should have, please let us know using the garden waste enquiry form or contact us.
The fees are for the collection of one garden waste bin. If your property has not previously received the garden waste collection service and you do not have a garden waste bin, we will provide your first bin free of charge. If you would like more than one garden waste bin, each additional bin will cost £20. You will also need to pay the subscription fee to empty each additional bin.
Stickers, calendars and letters
Once you've subscribed, we'll send you:
- a sticker (to prove you have paid for the service this year) - write your address on the self-adhesive bin sticker and fix it to the bin, directly underneath the handle. If your sticker gets damaged or lost, we'll replace it free of charge.
- a collection calendar. It will also tells you what you can put in the garden waste bin. Your collection day may change between years, and be on a different day from your rubbish and recycling collections. You can also look up your collection days in our My Durham section.
- bins if you have ordered new or extra ones
If you do not receive a calendar, sticker or bin, have lost your letter with the reference number on, or have any other general problems, you can report this using the garden waste enquiry form.
- Garden waste
- Garden waste
- 03000 261 000
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ