1. Do it online
  2. Have Your Say
  3. My Durham

Repatriation of bodies to abroad

A coroner can give permission for a body to be moved out of England or Wales. This permission has to be obtained at least four days before a body is to be moved so that any enquiries can be made. However, a coroner may be able to give permission sooner.

Once a coroner has granted permission, a funeral director will be able to make the necessary arrangements. 

Afterwards you will be given a removal notice, a section of which is sent to the registrar after the funeral.

Permission must always be obtained where a funeral is to take place outside England or Wales. This applies in all cases where a body is to be moved out of England or Wales, not just where a death was reported to the coroner.

Contact us
Register Office - Bishop Auckland
03000 266 000
Our address is:
  • Cockton House
  • 35 Cockton Hill Road
  • Bishop Auckland
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
  • DL14 6HS
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page