It is often assumed, quite wrongly, that funerals can only be carried out by a funeral director.
The majority of people choose to make their funeral arrangements through a funeral director, but some people see independent funerals as more personal and less expensive. If this approach appeals and you have the time to research and prepare for your personal requirements, initial enquiries should be made to through the contacts at the bottom of this page. You could also get information from the Natural Death Centre.
The information in the individual sections of the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management - Bereavement Services will help you with this. It is your right to:
- organise a funeral without the use of a funeral director
- as executor (or next of kin) to be given the body by a mortuary, hospital, etc, in order to carry out a funeral without a funeral director
- obtain a coffin (minimum biodegradable type) via your charter member
- obtain a personalised or independent funeral leaflet from your charter member describing how to arrange a funeral without a funeral director
You must provide a green certificate or coroner's certificate for burial or cremation.
Independent funeral options
You can find out more about funeral options and pricing for your area at Your Funeral Choice.
- Bereavement Office
- 03000 265 609
Our address is:
- Morrison Busty Depot
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Annfield Plain
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH9 7RX