To get the best experience of this website, we recommend you upgrade your browser.

Upgrade your Internet Explorer

Durham County Council

Once your school place has been accepted, please check you receive a confirmation email. If you have accepted online you do not need to contact admissions. 

Page location

Apply to change school during the school year

If you're moving house, moving into County Durham, or have another reason for wanting to change schools, the information on this page will help.

Apply for a primary school change

To apply for a change of primary school you can:

NB This form is not for a secondary school transfer. 

Once your application is submitted, we'll contact you within 10 working days to tell you whether your transfer request has been successful.

Secondary school transfers

If you wish to move secondary schools, you should contact us in the first instance to discuss, and, where appropriate, we will issue an application form.

Successful applications

You will be given a date by which you must take up the school place. You should also contact the school for more details of what you need to do.

Unsuccessful applications

If we cannot offer you a place at your chosen school we will add your child's name to the school's waiting list. You can also appeal against a school place decision - if you are considering appealing for a school place contact us.

Travel to school following a change of school

If the school is now not your nearest suitable school, you may be affected by our home to school transport policies.

Applying for a school place for the start of a school year

If your child is due to start primary or secondary school, you should check the annual school admissions timetable for when school place applications open.

How we use your personal information

When you submit your school place application you give us consent to check the personal information you have provided.

When you submit your application for a primary or secondary school place, you give your consent for us to check the address details you have given on your application with council tax and electoral registration records. This is to confirm that  you are resident at the property. 

There are more details about how your data is used on our Privacy notices page.