Independent greyhound track licence
To operate an independent greyhound track in County Durham you must first obtain a licence from us.
The need for a licence is a requirement of the Welfare of Racing Greyhound Regulations 2010.
An applicant must not be disqualified from operating an independent greyhound track or from keeping animals and must not be a member of the Greyhound Board of Great Britain (GBGB) please see.
Before granting a licence, we must be satisfied that the following principle conditions are met:
- A veterinary surgeon must be in attendance for the duration of a race
- The site must have veterinary facilities
- There must be kennels for dogs
- The greyhounds taking part in races have identification (micro-chipping)
- Records of greyhounds taking part in races and any injuries they have sustained, as well as information on their owners must be provided
Planning permission may also be required. Applicants should seek advice from our Planning service.
If you are applying for a new licence, or wish to renew a current one, you must also provide us with the following items along with the application form and fee;
- Site plan and layout of facilities
- A valid Public Liability Insurance certificate with a minimum £5m cover
- Relevant training and qualification certificates
The fee for a licence to run an independent greyhound track is £130. If you are looking to renew your current licence, the fee is £126.
To apply for this licence, you can download and complete an postal address.. Please return your completed application to our
On receipt of the application, we will carry out an inspection of the track in order to be satisfied that the licensing conditions are or will be met before granting or renewing a licence.
The current licence for an independent greyhound track can be valid for up to two years.
If you are refused a licence, you can appeal to the Magistrates' Court.
Complaints and advice
If you require any further information on your application, have concerns about the operation of an independent greyhound track, or if you have a complaint, please contact us.