Apply for or renew a taxi or private hire driver licence
How to apply for or renew your taxi or private hire driver licence, what it costs and the documents you need.
This licence only covers you - you also need a licence for the vehicle you drive (see Apply for or renew a taxi or private hire vehicle licence).
Before you apply
To apply you must:
- be able to work legally in the UK
- have held a full UK drivers licence, or equivalent, for at least 12 months
Apply for a licence
1. Complete your application form
Completeor , alternatively you can apply online.
2. Arrange an appointment with us
Contact us to make an appointment so that we can view the the following documents:
- your completed application form with the fee
- current photo card driving licence (original document)
- Immigration Act - Right to Work document (original document)
- DVLA check code so we can check your driving licence
- an Enhanced DBS check
- a completed signed by your GP
- Knowledge and locality test for taxi and private hire drivers pass certificates
- pass certificate
- Child Sexual Exploitation Awareness training certificate
We can issue one, two or three year licences. You must tell us on your application form how long you would like your driver's licence to last.
|New or Renewal||Taxi driver||Private hire driver||Joint taxi and|
private hire driver
|1 year licence||£71.00||£71.00||£100.00|
|2 year licence||£125.00||£125.00||£177.50|
|3 year licence||£181.00||£181.00||£256.00|
Differences between a taxi and private hire vehicle
Whether you have a taxi (hackney carriage) or a private hire vehicle dictates the vehicle you drive and how you are able to pick up passengers - see How to travel safely in taxis which lists the differences.
How we use your information
Theexplains how we use your personal information to administer taxi and private hire licensing in County Durham. It includes how long we keep the information for and when we might share it with a third party such as Inland Revenue, Police, Department for Work and Pensions, HM Revenues and Customs.
- 03000 261 016
Our address is:
- Durham County Council
- PO Box 617
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 9HZ