Lanchester Library is situated on the corner of Front Street and Newbiggen Lane, opposite the community centre.
The library is fully accessible to our customers and our computers have accessibility features available on them.
- Monday: 2.00pm - 5.30pm
- Tuesday: 2.00pm - 5.30pm
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday: 9.00am - 7.00pm
- Friday: closed
- Saturday: 9.30am - 12.30pm
- Sunday: closed
- Public holidays: closed
For unexpected closures, please see our disruptions, closures and warnings page.
How to get there
If you are travelling by bus, the X31 (to Newcastle via Annfield Plain and Stanley) stops just outside the library. Service 15 (to Consett and Durham) stops opposite the library. There are public parking spaces nearby on Front Street and a free car park on Newbiggen Lane.
Cycle parking facilities - there are currently no cycle parking facilities at this library.
If you would like to browse our catalogue, request an item or renew an item already on loan, please visit Library Online. This facility also offers members of the library service access to a range of websites including Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Grove Music Online and Encyclopaedia Britannica Online.
- books, including large print and picture books, audiobooks and reference books
- information leaflets
- language courses
- music scores
- public access computers with internet, word processing and other Office packages facilities.
- Wi-fi (free)
- colour photocopier
- colour printer
- ancestry online
- study area
An access guide for this library is available at DisabledGo: Lanchester Library
- Reading Group - Last Monday (2.30pm - 3.30pm) and third Thursday (5.30pm - 6.30pm) of every month
- Toddler Time - Every Thursday, 2.00pm - 3.00pm
- Get Creative - Every Tuesday, 2.00pm - 4.00pm. Please note this is term time only.
- Knit and Natter - First Thursday of the month, 10.00am - 11.30am
- Junior Chatter books reading group - Second Monday of the month, 3.30pm - 4.30pm