Skip to content
  1. Do it online
  2. Login
  3. Have your say
  4. My Durham

Tax-free childcare

With Tax-free childcare, the government pays £2 for every £8 you pay your childcare provider (via an online account). This is for children from 0 to 11 years old (or 16 if your child is disabled).


Did you know that even if you have never used childcare before, or if your own nursery or childminder is closed, there are many across the county who are happy to take your children if you are a key worker? This can be a temporary move while your usual provider is closed.

As part of our commitment to helping key workers, we have made extra resources available and have a dedicated team to help you find childcare.

If you normally receive funding such as the free early education entitlement at 15 or 30 hours childcare costs, this stays with your usual provider, but we are also providing additional funding to any setting you transfer to so that any costs that funding usually covers are not passed on to you.

You can look for childcare providers at Families Information Service (FIS) or email the Early Years team who will explore your options with you.

You can use this to pay your registered childcare provider, including:

  • childminders, nurseries and nannies
  • after-school clubs and playschemes
  • schools
  • home careworkers working for a registered home care agency

Visit Childcare Choices to see if you are eligible and to apply online.

You can use tax free childcare at the same time as: 

You cannot use tax free childcare at the same time as: 

  • Universal credit
  • Tax credits
  • Childcare vouchers
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page