Apply for an older person's bus pass
If you live in County Durham and have reached pension age, you can apply for your older person's bus pass. This gives you free travel on buses anywhere in England and half fares on some local trains.
When you can apply for your bus pass
When you can get your pass depends on when you were born.
|If your date of birth is||Your pass will start from|
|6 July to 5 August 1954||6 May 2020|
|6 August to 5 September 1954||6 July 2020|
|6 September to 5 October 1954||6 September 2020|
|on or after 6 October 1954||your 66th birthday|
If you are a woman born between 6 July and 5 November 1954, we offer a Concessionary Bus Travel for Women bus pass. This is a bus-only pass to bridge the gap until you are entitled to the full pass. If you already receive a Concessionary Bus Travel for Women pass, your full bus pass will be sent automatically when you reach state pension age.
What you need to apply
You will need:
- proof that you live in County Durham, such as a copy of a bank statement, utility bill or council tax letter
- proof of your age, such as a copy of a birth certificate, driving licence, passport or pension book
- a passport sized photograph
Apply for a bus pass
- By post: print and fill in the and send it to the address on the form
- In person: at any of our Customer Access Points. We will take your photograph when you arrive. You must bring proof that you qualify.
Your new pass will be posted to you in 14 days.
What you can use your pass for
Your pass entitles you to:
- free travel on all bus services in England
- between 9.30am and 11.00pm, Monday to Friday
- all day Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays (certain special night-time services are excluded)
- travel for 50p on journeys where you use a local bus (in County Durham)
- before 9.30am, Monday to Friday
- free travel on Durham City Park and Ride
- half price fares travel on certain local train services:
- Chester-le-Street or Seaham to/from Newcastle or Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
- Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe or Heighington to/from Middlesbrough (and any station in between)
Replacing an existing bus pass
If your pass is lost or stolen, or you have changed address, you can ask for a replacement bus pass.
- Passenger Transport
- Passenger Transport
- 03000 268 667
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ
- 0191 389 8182