Older and disabled persons bus passes - general information
This page gives general information about our travel (bus) pass scheme which provides free travel on buses and half price travel on some trains to people who qualify for the state pension, or who have disabilities.
Applying for a pass
What can I use my bus pass for?
If you're a resident of County Durham and have one of our bus passes, your pass entitles you to the following:
- Free travel on all bus services in England after 9.30am and 11.00pm Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays (certain special night-time services are excluded).
- A reduced fare of 50p each time you board a local bus (in County Durham) before 9.30am Monday to Friday.
- Free travel on Durham City Park and Ride.
- Half fare travel on certain local train services:
- Chester-le-Street and Seaham to/from Newcastle/Middlesbrough (including intermediate stations).
- Bishop Auckland, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe and Heighington to/from Middlesbrough (including intermediate stations).
Additional entitlement for disabled bus passes
If you are unable to travel unaided you may be entitled to a pass that enables a companion to travel with you. A companion will be able to travel free with you on local buses only. Your bus pass will have a symbol in the top right hand corner to indicate this.
When can't I use my pass?
- Before 9.30am Monday to Friday or after 11.00pm on any day outside of County Durham.
- In Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
- On any rail or metro services, except the rail services listed above.
- On long distance coach services such as National Express or private coach excursions or tours.
How does the pass work?
The pass contains a microchip that can be read by bus ticket machines. The bus driver will tell you how to use your card. If your card doesn't work, the driver will tell you what you need to do.
Conditions of using your pass
- Only you can use your pass.
- If your pass is misused a bus or train operator can take it off you.
- You must show the driver your pass every time you get on a bus.
- The driver will give you a ticket for all journeys in and around County Durham, but this may not be the case when you use it outside of the county.
- Sustainable Transport
- Sustainable Transport
- 03000 268 667
Our address is:
- Regeneration and Local Services
- Durham County Council
- County Hall
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 5UQ
- 0191 389 8182