Knowledge and locality test for taxi and private hire drivers
Before we can approve your taxi or private hire driver application, you must pass tests on road safety and the local area (knowledge and locality tests).
Once you have submitted your taxi or private hire driver application, contact us to book an appointment for your tests.
You are tested on the following:
- Road safety (knowledge test)
- Local area (locality test)
See ourfor full details of what's included in the tests. It also includes examples of the questions asked.
Road safety (knowledge test)
The test takes up to 60 minutes.
You are tested on your knowledge of:
- the law
- general highway code signs and road markings
- our Hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy including conditions and the
Local area (locality test)
For taxi (hackney carriage) drivers the test takes up to 30 minutes, for private hire drivers the test takes up to 45 minutes.
During the locality test you are expected to:
- be able to use an A-Z map
- be able to describe routes within County Durham
- know the location of all of our Vehicle Testing Centres
- give accurate locations of a number of landmarks within County Durham
- describe the location of three landmarks and a route either to or from each of those landmarks
- be able to identify, from a list, a number of areas not located within County Durham
How much the tests cost
The knowledge test is £13.00 and the locality test is £22.50.
- 03000 261 016
Our address is:
- Durham County Council
- PO Box 617
- County Durham
- United Kingdom
- DH1 9HZ