Keeping council services running
Work is continuing today to keep council services up and running during what experts are describing as an historic episode of winter weather.
Further snowfall, winds up to 45mph and snowdrifts that are 15ft in places mean conditions remain extremely difficult across the county.
Gritting crews continue to work around the clock to plough and treat priority one routes but with a number of roads remaining closed, motorists are once again being advised only to travel if necessary.
The following roads are currently closed:
- A689 - Cowshill to Alston Cumbria closed at Cowshill
- B6295 - Cowshill to Allenheads Northumberland closed at Cowshill
- C21 - Rookhope to Allenheads Northumberland closed at Rookhope
- B6278 - Stanhope to Edmundbyers closed at Crawleyside, Stanhope and Edmundbyers
- C16 - Stanhope to Castleside closed at Crawleyside Stanhope and Horseleyhope, Castleside
- B6278 - Stanhope to Egglestone closed at Stanhope and Eggleston
- B6277 - Teesdale to Cumbria closed at Middleton
- B6276 - Teesdale to Cumbria closed at Middleton
- C27 - St John's Chapel to Landon Beck closed at St John's Chapel and Landon Beck
- C28 - Westgate to Newbiggin closed at Westgate and Newbiggin
- C77 - Rookhope to Ireshopeburn closed at Rookhope and Ireshopeburn
- C78 - Rookhope to Westgate closed at Rookhope and Westgate
- C18A- Crook to Stanley Crook closed at Crook and Stanley
- C11 - Quaking Houses to Burnhope
- C11 - Holmeside Lane, Quaking Houses to Wagtail Lane, Craghead
- A6076 - Causey Road, Shield Row
- B6277 - Cotherstone to Lartington
- A179 - Southbound slip onto A19 Sheraton Interchange
- C18 A - Church Hill Bank Crook
- A690 - Low Jobs Hill to Church Hill Crook
- Low Jobs Hill to B6299
How are services affected?
The snow is still making it difficult for our refuse and recycling crews to carry out their rounds.
Residents whose bins have not been emptied are being advised to take them back in and they will be emptied in a fortnight's time. Additional waste that has accumulated in that time will also be taken as part of that collection. Residents should continue to put out their bins on the scheduled collection day, details can be found at My Durham search
Temporary accommodation is being provided for a small number of people who had been sleeping rough in Durham City and the council is working with local charities and homelessness organisations to provide extra beds and warm drinks during the severe weather.
A significant number of schools remain closed today and parents are advised to visit our website or check our Facebook and Twitter feeds for updates.
Care staff continue to prioritise essential visits and members of the public are being encouraged to check on friends, relatives and neighbours who may need assistance but particularly those who are older or vulnerable.
Middleton in Teesdale Household Waste Recycling Centre will remain closed today but Annfield Plain has now reopened.
Telephone contact centres continue to operate as normal and all Customer Access Points, leisure centres and libraries are open today along with the Gala Theatre, Durham Town Hall and Bishop Auckland Town Hall. However, people are advised to call ahead to make sure services are operating.