Operation Spruce Up brings loving touch to Crook
"Love where you live" was the message delivered by Operation Spruce Up as it came to Crook on Valentine's Day.
Work in Crook
- This month, they are working in Crook, where they will be focus sing on North Terrace and the War Memorial area. Activities will include: bed planting around the War Memorial; sweeping and clearing of footpaths; painting and cleaning of benches and fencing; gullies and channels cleared; weeds and chewing gum removed from paths and green spaces; street markings, bollards and lampposts painted.
Oliver Sherratt, head of direct services, said: "Since launching Operation Spruce Up in November, we've been able to give a thorough clean and tidy up to Spennymoor, Fencehouses, Framwellgate Moor and now Crook. I know it is traditional at this time of year to 'say it with flowers', however the teams have been busy 'sprucing up with shrubs. Operation Spruce Up turns into a real community effort with local residents, schools and businesses all getting involved to do their bit and help make and keep their areas looking their best."
Recently spruced up Framwellgate Moor
Operation Spruce Up was launched in November 2016 as a countywide deep cleaning programme and provides a coordinated and intensive high-impact clean in a selected area. Last month, Spruce Up went to work in Framwellgate Moor and saw Priory Road and Front Street looking better than ever.
Framwellgate Moor Primary School pupils also got involved with a design-a-poster competition to encourage people to help keep the community clean and tidy. Our civic pride team also hosted an assembly at the school to educate the pupils about enviro-crimes and how to better look after their environment.
A survey taken after Operation Spruce Up concluded at Framwellgate Moor found that 79 per cent of respondents said the appearance of the area had improved. Other comments included:
- "Love the new benches and the plants in tubs."
- "Saw the signs during the week. Lovely to see the kids helping out as well."
- "Paths look great."
- "All the staff are brill. Really good lads!"
- "Thank you so much for securing the bin outside my house. Much better."
03000 26 1000