1. Do it online
  2. Have Your Say
  3. My Durham

Debt advice and financial help

If you're having trouble managing your money, with rent arrears or dealing with debt, you should get help as soon as possible. You can get free and impartial advice and support from a range of places.

Managing debt

  • Visit the Gov.uk website for options for paying off your debts.
  • National Debtline offers expert advice via phone and email to deal with debts. This includes self help solutions such as debt management plans, debt relief orders and individual voluntary arrangements to people with multiple debts.
  • The Money Advice Service provides help and advice to manage your money and deal with debt.
  • StepChange is a registered charity offering free and impartial debt advice. You can get an instant, no obligation assessment of your debt problem and tailored advice based on your situation.
  • PayPlan provide advice on debt over the phone, by email or face-to-face.

Financial help

  • Our Welfare Rights Service can advise you on what benefits you may be entitled to and how to claim them.
  • Visit our care and support services website - Locate for details of organisations that can provide financial assistance, grants and trusts that you may be able to apply for depending on your situation.
  • Gov.uk: apply for a budgeting loan are interest free loans available to people who have claimed income-related benefits for 26 weeks or more and can be used to buy essential items such as rent, furniture and clothes.
  • Turn2Us is a charitable service which helps people to access the money available to them through welfare benefits, grants and other sources.

Credit Unions

The NEFirst Credit Union and Prince Bishops Community Bank Credit Union are non-profit making co-operatives that offer savings and loan services and exist solely to benefit their members. They also offer schemes to purchase furniture and white goods by weekly payments.

Dealing with loan sharks

See our illegal money lending page for information about dealing with loan sharks.


Homelessness advice and support is available if you are made homeless as well as helping you find debt advice.

Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizen's Advice Bureau can give you independent debt advice as well as help and advice on money matters, welfare benefits and tax. 

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page