1. Do it online
  2. Have Your Say
  3. My Durham

Returning to social work

We are looking for qualified social workers who are keen to return to children and families social work.

How can you help me return to social work?

If you have been out of practice for more than two years -  you will need to undertake a period of updating your skills and knowledge before you can re-register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).

We can support you to access work experience and training opportunities to help you update your skills and knowledge so that you can re-register with the HCPC.


You will need to be:

  • a qualified social worker,
  • planning to return to social work with children and families,
  • considering applying for a social work post with our children's services after re-registration,
  • hold a current Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate, or be prepared to apply for a certificate before commencing any supervised practice,
  • not suspended or struck off the HCPC's register of social workers.

How will you support me?

We will support you through:

  • supervised practice,
  • formal study,
  • private study such as researching and reading.


Contact us
Social work careers
03000 267 367
Our address is:
  • County Hall
  • Durham
  • County Durham
  • United Kingdom
Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Twitter Print this page