We want to make and show great visual arts in County Durham that is enjoyed by an increasing number of people.
All visual arts exhibtions are on hold due to Covid-19.
Our permanent exhibitions
Ps in a Pod
The same and different is a cast iron sculptural installation currently touring different locations across County Durham. The P sculptures appear similar in form but each one is unique and differs slightly to all others - just like people. Like humans, the sculptures have a sense of adventure and energy. The sculptures respond to their environment and their location alters the personality of the artworks so the diverse landscapes of County Durham create very different settings for the sculptures.
They are now installed in their permanent home at Wharton Park, Durham.
Gala Gallery is located within the Gala Theatre, Durham in the centre of Durham. It shows changing exhibitions of modern and contemporary art by regional, national and international artists which make associations with the context of the Theatre programme.
The McGuiness Gallery is located within Bishop Auckland Town Hall in the centre of Bishop Auckland. It is currently shut for refurbishment and due to re-open in 2020.
We aim to:
- provide high quality visual arts events and exhibitions that promote County Durham as a destination and attract visitors from beyond the region
- offer opportunities for employment and development of professional artists from County Durham and the North East
- engage high quality artists create work in County Durham making connections to the national and international visual arts scene
- create visual arts programmes that challenge, provoke and inspire audiences
- embed education and learning opportunities within all visual arts activity in order to expand knowledge, understand and raise aspirations
- provide high quality, interactive community engagement linked to and promoting wellbeing and enjoyment