Save money on your energy bills
Free and impartial advice to help you save money on your energy bills and keep your home warm is available from our Managing Money Better Service
What to do if you can't afford to top up your prepayment meter
Tell your supplier if you can't afford to top up because you're ill with coronavirus or following guidance to 'self-isolate'. You'll find their contact details on their website or on your bill.
They'll try to help you find other ways to keep your energy supply connected. For example:
- let someone else top up for you
- add funds to your account
- send you a pre-loaded top-up card
You'll need to pay back any credit your supplier gives you - ask them when and how you'll need to do this.
If your meter is outside and it's safe to get to it, it's a good idea to leave it unlocked. This means someone else could top it up for you.
For more information see: Citizen's Advice: you can't afford to top up your prepayment meter.
Help with energy bills and energy debts
We can help you reduce your energy bills by finding a more competitive tariff and switching supplier, as well as offering fuel debt advice.
The average home energy bill is now £1.340 per year and there are many tariffs available from utility companies which can be confusing.
If you own your own home or rent privately we may be able to offer you Advice on boilers, insulation and other energy saving advice schemes
What we do
An experienced energy advisor from the Managing Money Better service can visit your home to carry out a free home energy assessment, which will include:
- assessing your fuel bills and help you to switch suppliers if savings can be made
- making sure you understand your heating system and controls
- providing energy efficiency advice and arrange practical support, if needed, such as insulation
In addition to advice on your energy bills, they can:
- making referrals to Welfare Rights for advice on benefit entitlements
- help with money management, including budgeting
- refer you to other relevant services that can help with finances, debt and home improvements if necessary
How to apply
Apply for our Managing Money Better scheme - please contact us for further details.
- Warm Homes Durham
- 03000 268 000